This hearty Italian meal uses spaghetti squash as a noodle-substitute. When cooked, the inside of the squash falls into pieces that resemble spaghetti, thus giving it its name. Spaghetti squash is nutrient-filled and very tasty, and this recipe adds Italian sausage, cheese, and sauce to create a lasagna-like meal. Leave out the sausage for a vegetarian option.
Nutrition Facts * Calories351, * Total Fat (g)24, * Saturated Fat (g)11, * Monounsaturated Fat (g)11, * Polyunsaturated Fat (g)3, * Cholesterol (mg)64, * Sodium (mg)941, * Carbohydrate (g)13, * Total Sugar (g)5, * Fiber (g)4, * Protein (g)18, * Vitamin A (DV%)0, * Vitamin C (DV%)42, * Calcium (DV%)27, * Iron (DV%)16, * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (2-1/4 lb.)
- 12 oz. bulk Italian sausage
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium green or red sweet pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 4-1/4-oz. can chopped pitted ripe olives (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1-1/2 cups purchased red pasta sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack, mozzarella, or Italian blend cheese
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh Italian parsley
- Halve squash crosswise; remove seeds. Place cut sides down in 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on high power 13 to 15 minutes or until squash is tender when pierced with fork; rearrange once for even baking. In a large skillet cook sausage, mushrooms, sweet pepper, onion, and garlic over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; stir to break up sausage. Drain off fat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Scrape pulp from squash (about 3 cups). Wipe out baking dish; coat with nonstick cooking spray. Spread half the squash in dish. Add half the sausage mixture and half the olives. Sprinkle with seasoning and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Top with half the sauce and half the cheese. Top with remaining squash, sausage, olives, and sauce. Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.