I swear I’ve made this before, but I can’t remember! I just feel like I have in a “have we met before” way, but either way, I want to. Ingredient list is yum, yummy, delish, and awesome. ‘Nuff said.
The Virginian-Pilot, 3/28/12
Start to Finish: 2½ hours (30 minutes active)
1 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
6 bone-in short ribs (about 3 lbs.)
2 leeks, white parts only, sliced
2 medium yellow onions, sliced
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cloves garlic, chopped
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
½ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup packed brown sugar
1 quart unsalted beef stock
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot such as a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium. Working in batches so as not to crowd the pan, sear the short ribs for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until well browned. Transfer the short ribs to a plate.
- Add the leeks, onions, carrots, celery, garlic to the pot and cook until well browned, stirring occasionally, about 12 to 15 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and tomato paste, and cook until the tomato paste turns a brick reddish-brown color, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add the Dijon mustard, rosemary sprigs, balsamic vinegar, and brown sugar. Scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Return the short ribs to the pot, then add the beef stock. Bring the mixture up to a low simmer and cover.
- The pot can be left on the stovetop on low heat or placed in a 325-degree oven for 1½ – 2 hours, or until the short ribs are very tender when pierced with a fork.
- Carefully transfer the meat to a platter. Cover with foil and a couple of kitchen towels to keep warm. Using a slotted spoon, remove and discard the solids from the liquid. Bring the liquid to a boil on the stovetop and cook until reduced to 1 cup. Drizzle the glaze over the short ribs and serve.
Nutrition information per serving 550 calories; 240 calories from fat (44% of total calories); 26 g fat (10 g saturated; 1 g trans fats); 135 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrate; 48 g protein; 3 g fiber; 650 mg sodium.